Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Tour of the Garden



At 6 each morning the crowing begins. At about 7:30 I pull on my wellingtons and foray outside to let the chickens loose and spread some laying mash. (it has just become apparent that two of the four 'hens' we bought are roosters, and that will not do, so a change is in the offing)


This also my prime time for touring the garden, fresh with dew, and today...splashed with sunlight. Though not a lot changes from day to day, this time is special for me. It's part of waking and knowing again that the world is right, that tiny seeds grow to be flourishing plants producing fruit and flowers. Time to touch the earth-foundation of life and know that my being, along with all that exists is unshakable.


This morning I found a number of things that pleased me. Purple cabbages and brussel sprouts look promising. Salad greens and swiss chard stay with us, plenty enough for table fare. Hyacinth bean vine begins to color the fence and squash plants are fading gracefully. But I am especially pleased with peppers-both sweet and hot. They continue to grow to maturity. And, oh...the taste!


I love touring my garden in the morning, I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment