Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Colored Egg Hunt



The long-awaited day arrived...probably a few days ago. We've been waiting for Gwen and Isadora, (our hens) who have been roaming the garden for months now. They have come of age, but there have been no eggs to be found.


Gwen did a disappearing act this morning, which was curious. She was nowhere to be found in the yard or the garden until after 11. Did she hop the fence? Did a hawk have her for breakfast? No, she just mysteriously disappeared.


I suspected she had found a place to lay, but it was not in the nest box I built into the chicken tractor and lined so carefully with oat straw. This afternoon I went in search of the elusive eggs.



I suspected a large growth of Pampas Grass at the back corner of the garden, crowded up to the fence. I tried one approach and found only minor indentations into the body of the planting. On the other side, I inched my way along the fence, past the saw-toothed blades and spotted a path that tunneled into the dense foliage. When I stretched my neck and peered into the tunnel...there they were! Ten perfect light blue eggs in a cozy bed of brown Pampas straw. (Let me explain...our chickens are Americanas...they lay beautiful blue eggs)


I am so proud! And so happy. I am high on the wonder of life in it's natural state. Who cares that they don't like my nest boxes. This is what I wanted from my bug control program.


I've been grinning ever since the marvelous find, and cannot wait for tomorrow morning's breakfast.

1 comment:

  1. At last beautiful pale turquoise eggs. I have phoned my friends and family because of course I am excited, I have wanted chickens for a long time and the beautiful eggs Americana chickens produce. I like to eat and cook, eggs and the fresh produce from the garden, free me from the market. MMM, I wonder how hard it would be to have a goat or cow, got milk? Nah, better not.
    Smart people have asked me "what do they taste like" with an inflection of disgust in their voice. I get it
    " The inside of the eggs are not turquoise or green, they have dark orange yolks( because they are free range organic, high in Omega's) and regular (slimy) whites.
    It also hit me,
    Dr.Suess must have been talking about These eggs when he wrote about green eggs and ham. Being a writer I should have guessed this sooner.OMG they are so fresh! Look for custards and egg dishes on my blog...
    http//:www.HealthyDeliciousCheapandEasy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete