Friday, January 1, 2010

A Plant Conversation



A long time ago, I thought that people who talked with their house plants were certainly odd, perhaps tottering on the brink of craziness. The idea that such diverse species as us humans on one side, and an ornamental African violet on another had a connection, and even an intimate one, seemed folly.


Over the years I have closed my personal gap to the natural world somewhat. I truly enjoy almost all of the living things around me. I appreciate them. I might even admit to being in a sort of communication with them as I stroll my garden in the morning or weave my way through the natural garden of an unpeopled riverbank.


For Christmas, I received a book. Love books! This one was an oldie and a goodie...The Secret Life of Plants, by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird. Wild stuff! The first part of the book cites numerous experiments with human-plant communication. Real science stuff, too. And even though that exotic research is now decades, it sparked something in me. (Read the book...you'll certainly find it interesting)


I have decided on an experiment of my own. I planted a winter garden a bit late, but it is growing still. I produced oodles of red cabbage and brussel sprout seedlings which now people my cold garden beds, giving them a bit of vitality. They are maturing very slowly, which is natural, I suppose. I'd rather that some of the plants get the encouragement they need to really thrive, and I'm going to give it to them.


I chose two of the many to give my attention to. I adorned each of them with a red silk ribbon. I've even named them. Mr. Cabbage (how original) and Beenie Brussel. (don't ask me why) I intend to give them the support they need to really grow. They are neither the biggest nor the smallest of the lot, but somehow they stand out to me, and I'm nurturing a relationship with them. Daily I will focus on each, and communicate with them how beautiful and wonderful they are, how I appreciate them, and how they make me happy. I'll give at least a minute of focused attention to each of them every day.


I can't wait to see how they respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment